Thursday, August 8, 2013

"Smallsbury"


     

        I grew up in a small town in North Carolina, Salisbury. I always used to complain about not having anything to do around town, but now I know how wrong I was. I now live in Weslaco, and I can now say that there is nothing to do there or even nearby, besides the usual or most common.
Salisbury High School, where I graduated from :)
 

 
 
 

        Although Salisbury is a small historic town, it has its own mall. I would only have to travel five minutes to get to the mall or any other shopping center. Now that I think about it, there are many things to do around “Smallsbury” and as I now tell my friends, “trust me, you have many stores, restaurants, events, parks, etc. to go to just in Salisbury alone, unlike me!”Although Salisbury Mall is a small mall, it counts with about 20 stores and five restaurants. Next to it, you have the $2 Cinemas as well.

 

 

 
 

There is also one main shopping center in Salisbury where you will find Old Navy, Shoe Dept., Marshall’s, Hallmark, etc. and of course Tinseltown Cinema. If you are shopping for wedding dresses, prom dresses or any of that type, downtown Salisbury has many store options to go to. Downtown Salisbury is actually dominantly owned by local merchants and it is a very neat historical downtown area to visit. Boutiques, antique shops, ice cream spots, and restaurants are some of the places you will find in downtown Salisbury.
 
Mural in downtown Salisbury
 
The "Y" in Salisbury
 

Newspaper, "The Salisbury Post"

Salisbury is packed with many restaurants, I would say that there are at least 200 restaurants in Salisbury alone, which includes Chinese restaurants, (which are really really good), Japanese restaurants, (my favorite), Italian restaurants (mostly all authentic, and my second favorite!), and of course you can not forget Mexican restaurants (which are super good and I miss some of the plates that they don’t serve here at Mexican restaurants, and if they do, they’re not as good, which is pretty weird!).
 

 

 

Some of my favorite restaurants that I miss are:

1.    Hap’s Grill- American food, home-made style

2.   Cartucci’s and Romano’s- Italian

3.   Christo’s- From burgers to stromboli’s

4.   Ting-Hao- Probably the first Chinese restaurant that became everyone’s favorite, really good and cheap…I mean cheap…

5.   Ichiban Japanese- Best Japanese in town! #1

6.   La Ceiba- Hondurian authentic food, delicious :)

7.   Jersey Mike’s- The best sub place in town!

8.   Hendrix BBQ- One of my favorite breakfast places besides Waffle House, and cheap too!

9.   East Coast Wings and Grill- The name says it all

10.        And of course my favorite Mexican restaurant, Casa Grande- or as I call it, “Big House”

 

*If you just want to grab a burger, no not McDonalds, Hardee’s is the place and for chicken, Bojangles is #1!*

*Oh and yeah, we have Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts!*

 

 

If you’re ever in Salisbury, I would recommend to visit these restaurants, some of my favorites, but there’s still a lot more in my list. One last thing before I forget, if you ever want to travel by train, let’s say you want to go to Philly (I did) or Atlantic City, New Jersey (yes I did too), you can take the Amtrak train in Salisbury, and the pricing is really cheap..and fun!

Salisbury Station
 
 

 

***Fun fact, Salisbury is the home to North Carolina’s famous soft drink, Cheerwine!!!***
 
 
Who said DQ was only in Texas?
Dairy Queen in Salisbury, N.C. :)
 
*Photos from Salisbury, NC website,google and some personal*

No comments:

Post a Comment